A spinal cord injury can be life-altering and may result in paralysis. When spinal cord injuries are caused by someone else’s negligence, victims have a right to file a lawsuit to recover damages. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, Saeedian Law Group can help.
Our legal team understands your physical, emotional, and financial burdens and can help to lift those burdens off of you by providing you with compassionate, efficient representation. When you consult with us, we will take the time to understand the circumstances that led to your injury and choose the best course of action for you.
While many injury claims can be settled, we are always prepared to litigate to achieve the best possible outcome. Rest assured, we will fight to win you the maximum compensation you deserve, whether through negotiation or litigation. Contact our office today to speak with a capable Los Angeles spinal cord injury attorney.
What is a spinal cord injury?
A spinal cord injury is one in which the spinal cord or nerves in the spinal canal are damaged. These injuries can also involve damage to the vertebrae, ligaments, or discs in the spinal column.
When the nerve fibers in the spine are damaged, muscles and nerves below the injured area may be impaired.
A severe spinal cord injury can lead to paralysis, but even less severe injuries can cause a partial loss of movement and sensation. An injury to the neck can affect arm movements and may impact the victim’s ability to breathe. If the injury involves the chest area or lower back, the torso, legs, bladder, bowel function and sexual capacity may all be impacted.
Most spinal cord injuries are life-altering and irreparable, however, medical advances are making it possible for spinal cord injury victims to function more independently. Nonetheless, spinal cord injuries continue to be traumatic for injury victims and their loved ones.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries
Spinal cord injuries are usually the result of a traumatic blow to the spine or a violent wound that severs the spinal cord. Common causes of spine injuries include:
- Motor vehicle accidents – Car accidents and motorcycle accidents are the leading causes of spinal cord injuries
- Falls – Falls from heights (e.g. ladders, roofs) and slip and fall accidents frequently cause spinal cord injuries; individuals 65 and older are especially vulnerable
- Violent crimes – Assaults involving a deadly weapon can result in gunshot or knife wounds to the spinal cord
- Sports and recreation injuries – Football, soccer, wrestling, and other athletic activities can result in spine damage
- Swimming pool accidents – Diving into shallow water can result in head, neck, and spinal cord injuries
Signs That Someone Has Suffered a Spinal Cord Injury
It is extremely important that a spine injury victim not be moved until medical help arrives. Signs of a spinal cord injury include:
- Extreme back pain or pressure in the neck, head, or back
- Difficulty with balance and walking
- Impaired breathing
- Oddly positioned or twisted neck or back
- Numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the hands, fingers, feet, or toes
- Weakness, lack of coordination, or paralysis in any part of the body
The time between injury and treatment can be critical in determining the extent and severity of the injury and minimizing the recovery time.
These injuries are classified by the degree to which the ability to control the limbs is affected. In a complete spinal cord injury, feeling and ability to control movement below the injury may be impacted. In an incomplete spinal cord injury, some motor or sensory functions may remain.
Spinal cord injuries can also result in paralysis, referred to as paraplegia and quadriplegia:
- Paraplegia affects part of the trunk, legs, and pelvic organs
- Quadriplegia affects the arms, hands, legs, trunk, and pelvic organs
The Lasting Repercussions of a Spinal Cord Injury
Damage to the spinal cord can affect almost every type of bodily function, including:
- Bladder control
- Bowel control
- Skin sensation – perception of heat, cold, pressure
- Circulatory control – including blood pressure and the potential for blood clots
- Respiration because the abdominal and chest muscles (diaphragm) are affected
- Muscle tone – either uncontrolled tightening or limp muscles
- Sexual function
Lack of mobility, difficulty breathing, and muscle atrophy can also lead to complications such as pain, obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, pneumonia or other lung problems, and clinical depression. These potential future complications make it even more crucial to work with an experienced Los Angeles spinal cord injury attorney.
How Saeedian Law Group Can Help
You can depend on us to handle all the details of your claim, including:
- Investigating the accident site
- Obtaining and reviewing police reports
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses
- Compiling medical evidence to support your claim
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit if necessary
- Arranging for medical and vocational expert testimony about the severity of your injury
- Negotiating a fair and just settlement
Above all, we will work strategically to help you recover damages such as:
- Lost wages
- Medical expenses (past and future)
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability
- Emotional distress
- Long-term care
- Assistive devices (e.g. braces, crutches, wheelchairs)
- Required modifications to your residence
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If the responsible party’s conduct was particularly egregious (e.g. drunk or drugged driving) you may also be awarded punitive damages, which are intended to punish that person’s misconduct and deter others from similar misconduct.
Contact An Experienced Los Angeles Personal Injury Attorney Today!
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury due to someone’s negligent, reckless, or willful conduct, you need the powerful representation Saeedian Law Group provides. We handle all injury claims on a contingency basis, so you pay nothing to us until we obtain compensation for you. Contact our office today for a free consultation.