No matter how safely you drive, getting into an auto accident is sometimes unavoidable. That being said, your knowledge of what to do following an accident and how you handle it plays a crucial role in your ability to recover and seek compensation for damages.
Knowing what to do in the event that you do get into an accident will help ensure that you are ready to take the steps necessary to have the best chance at receiving the compensation you deserve. Our very own Beverly Hills personal injury attorney, Michael Saeedian explains everything you need to know.
While there is no guaranteed way to stop accidents from happening completely, practicing good driving habits may help prevent the accident from happening in the first place.
Some of the best practices to help you avoid accidents include:
- Stay off your cell phone while driving
- Scan your mirrors frequently
- Never drive under the influence
- Follow the speed limit
- Stay away from drivers you believe are aggressive or not paying attention
- Keep your eyes on the road at all times
While you can do things to help prevent accidents, the truth is they will happen no matter how many preventative measures you may take.
Steps to Take at the Accident Scene
Getting into a car accident can be a terrifying experience, thoughts and emotions are racing:
“Whose fault is it? What do I do now? Who do I call? Who do I talk to?”
The most important thing to remember is to stay calm. When you remain calm and level-headed you will be at your best which will ensure you take the proper steps.
- Remain at the accident scene, and remember to take a deep breath to calm your nerves. If you are in a dangerous location, move yourself to the closest available safe space.
- Check yourself, drivers involved, passengers, and anyone else involved in the accident for injuries. Notify medical professionals in the event that parties involved are injured as soon as possible.
- Call the local police, regardless of the situation. Calling local authorities to the accident is a crucial step for your personal injury claim. They will provide an incident report that will be very strong evidence to support your claim.
- Take photographs of:
- Both cars (be sure to include any damages)
- Driver’s license
- License plates
- Gather personal information of all parties involved, this includes:
- Contact information
- Insurance information (including policy number)
- Speak with each witness and be sure to receive:
- Phone number
- Their story of what happened in the accident
- DO NOT sign anything from anyone other than the police.
- Remain at the accident scene until everything has been settled.
Following the Accident Scene
Not only are there steps to take immediately at the scene of the accident, but there are also steps which need to be taken once you leave. Taking these steps will help ensure that your rights are protected and you have the ability to recover any damages you’ve suffered in the accident.
- Speak with a qualified Los Angeles personal injury attorney to ensure deadlines are met and the proper information is gathered.
- Get in touch with your insurance company and inform them of the accident as soon as you can.
- Track your injuries in great detail, be sure to include:
- Mental health
- Physical health
- Get proper damage valuation. This is very important in making sure you receive the full compensation you deserve.
- Speak with your attorney before providing any information to the other party’s insurance company.
How Saeedian Law Group Can Help
Putting the pieces back together following an auto accident can be overwhelming, to say the least. Our team at Saeedian Law Group has worked around the clock for years helping clients receive the compensation they deserve. Our team of staunch personal injury attorneys will do everything they can to ensure the best possible outcome for your case.
Don’t wait any longer to begin recovering, call (310) 288-3000 today to schedule your free case evaluation.