Although the climate of Los Angeles is mild-to-hot and mostly dry year-round, fog, heavy wind, and rains can and do contribute to bad-weather accidents. If you or a loved one has been injured in a weather-related accident, it takes a skilled car accident attorney to protect your rights.
At Saeedian Law Group, we have extensive experience handling bad weather accident claims and a proven track record of success, having recovered millions of dollars for our clients in favorable settlements and jury awards. Given the challenges of holding another driver liable for a bad-weather accident, it is essential to have a capable car accident attorney handle your claim.
When you become our client, we will work to understand the circumstances that led to your bad-weather accident and explore all your options. First, we will work to resolve your claim through settlement negotiations, but we are always ready to litigate. We offer free consultations and there is never a fee until we obtain compensation for you. Contact us today to get started.
The Facts About Bad Weather Accidents
As the name implies, a bad weather accident is one that occurs in adverse weather, including fog, rain, and heavy winds. Weather-related accidents also involve other hazardous conditions such as blowing sand or debris or slick pavement. Most bad or inclement weather accidents occur on wet roads after a rainstorm.
According to the Federal Highway Administration:
- About 22 percent of motor vehicle accidents each year are weather-related
- 73 percent of bad weather accidents involve wet pavement
- 46 percent of weather-related accidents occur during rainfall
- Other weather conditions that contribute to accidents include snow or sleet (17 percent), icy roads (13 percent), and fog (3 percent)
No matter how safely you drive, a car accident may be unavoidable when another driver fails to drive responsibly in certain weather conditions.
Factors Involved in Bad Weather Accidents
During bad weather conditions, drivers may run into mobility problems, such as:
- Decreased road capacity due to flooding, debris that is blown onto the roads by strong wind gusts, or road closures due to weather hazards
- Disrupted traffic signals on high capacity roads lead to long delays
- Reduced speeds on freeways due to rain or fog
Drivers in Los Angeles often encounter heavy rain which significantly reduces visibility and makes it difficult for drivers to see other vehicles or obstacles before they have time to react. Rainstorms can also make roads slippery and difficult to navigate, leading to a collision.
Proving Negligence in a Bad Weather Accident
Despite the hazards caused by bad weather, all drivers in California are required to drive safely at all times and in all conditions to avoid causing injuries to other drivers. They must also drive with caution and ensure their vehicle is properly serviced to handle bad weather conditions (e.g. functioning headlights, taillights, brake lights, brakes, and tires with tread).
In particular, drivers are required to adjust their speed to accommodate road conditions, regardless of the posted speed limit, and leave enough driving space between their car and the car ahead to allow for increased stopping time. A driver who fails to exercise this degree of care can be held liable for a weather-related accident that results in injuries. If you have been injured in a bad weather accident, we have the skills and experience to prove the at-fault driver’s negligence and will work tirelessly to protect your rights.
How Saeedian Law Group Can Help
After a bad weather accident, you may be frightened and confused about whether you can pursue an injury claim. By working with our experienced Los Angeles injury attorneys, you will begin to see the light of day. Our legal team will handle all the details of your claim, including:
- Investigating the site of the accident
- Obtaining surveillance video
- Identifying and interviewing witnesses
- Collecting medical records to support your claim
- Taking over communications with the insurance company
- Negotiating a fair and reasonable settlement
We know how to deal with the tactics insurance companies use to deny valid claims and will make sure you are treated fairly. If the insurance company fails to make a reasonable offer, we will file a lawsuit immediately. Lead attorney Michael Saeedian is a compassionate, highly skilled trial lawyer who will work in your best interests at all times.
Damages We Will Fight For
You can depend on us to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve, including economic and non-economic damages:
- Economic damages cover financial losses (e.g. present and future lost wages, medical expenses, and rehabilitative costs)
- Non-economic damages compensate you for intangible losses (e.g. pain and suffering, emotional distress, permanent disability, disfigurement)
If the at-fault driver was driving recklessly or under the influence of drugs or alcohol during inclement weather conditions, you may also be awarded punitive damages.
Contact An Experienced Los Angeles Bad Weather Accident Attorney
Don’t let a bad weather accident get you down. Turn to Saeedian Law Group instead. We will stand by you every step of the way, fighting for the compensation you need to have a brighter future. Contact us today so we can start working on your injury claim.